~Volunteer Opportunities ~
From operating crews and archival teams to guides and lecturers, Baltimore & Chesapeake Steamboat Company (B&CSC) relies solely on talented volunteers to successfully implement sundry maritime initiatives. The following is a sampling of opportunities available with B&CSC, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that preserves, interprets and supports industrial maritime heritage efforts in the Chesapeake Bay Region.
- Maritime Docent – Help share our collective maritime history with others! Memorial vessels, such as our 1940 police patrol boat CHARLES D GAITHER*, Nuclear Ship SAVANNAH and others, welcome you aboard their decks in a variety of rolls. B&CSC provide docents to the SAVANNAH. *Gaither volunteers must be members of the B&CSC.
- Outreach, Special Events & Administrative Assistants – Help with a variety of tasks including special event programs, staffing our outreach tables, preparing and assembling information and press packets, and scheduling activities.
- Research & Curatorial Collection & Website – As part of the research and curatorial staff, assist with care and handling of artifacts and archival material in our Collection; develop & produce exhibits; and research & prepare material for publications, website, exhibits, etc.
- Charthouse Speakers Program – Research and present talks on various aspects of maritime heritage to groups and for special events.
- Living History Interpreter and Docent – – Living history interpreters dress in historically accurate reproduction attire. Use your knowledge to describe experiences of past people from all walks of maritime life and conduct hands-on demonstrations. Docents research, plan, develop and conduct tours of nearby maritime sites-of-interest for the general public, school groups, and other organizations. Docents are offered suggestions and guidance helpful when conducting tours at each featured facility. We provide docents for the Savannah.
Contact us at volunteer@BayHeritage.org !